Using Aromatherapy or Aromatic Natural Products: Safety and Care
- Aromatic products and essential oils should be applied with caution. In most cases, essential oils need to be diluted significantly and to be of low concentration (generally 1%) for children, the elderly, and those with sensitive skin and systems. Some essential oils are counter-indicated in certain conditions (e.g., during pregnancy or in individuals with low or high blood pressure). It is important to become familiar with these counter-indications before using essentials oils or products containing them.
- Most inhalers you just sniff or inhale normally whenever you like. You don’t need to place the inhaler itself in your noise. You can hold it just under your nostrils. There are some difference across blends so read the package contents sheet for additional information on your inhaler blends. Cold Block should be inhaled deeply to treat the respiratory track. Block one nostril and draw the scent in deeply down into your lungs three times and repeat with the other nostril. Do this several times in the morning, afternoon and evening. Do it a lot. This will be more effective. The Focus and Concentrate blend has rosemary in it, which is a stimulant, so don’t use it at night because it could make it harder to fall asleep. Jet lag relief should be used frequently once you set out on your journey. Don’t wait until you arrive at your destination to initiate use.
- Roll Ons should be shaken before using. Essential oils are volatile and will evaporate from the surface of the applicator reducing the intensity of the scent. Just roll the ball against your skin or a tissue to draw more roll on to the surface and refresh the scent.
- Carriers such as nut oils (almond, walnut, or similar oils) should be avoided by those with nut allergies. These carriers are used in some of our skin products because they have many excellent properties, and those without allergies benefit from their use. All ingredients are noted on our products. In most cases, we can make substitutions upon request.
- Starchaser aromatic and aromatherapy products are natural products. Natural products in liquid or semi-liquid form need to be shaken or stirred prior to use, because natural ingredients tend to separate when a product is left standing and undisturbed.
- Note the shelf life listed in the product description section of our website.
- Read all labels and instructions, and use products only as recommended and in accordance with the instructions on the label and/or accompanying the product.
- Do not swallow or ingest, keep eyes shut while spraying or applying products near the eyes, and use only products explicitly designed for the face on the face.
- Do not directly spray on or apply products to fabrics, as some products can cause staining or damage.
- Do not use products on children and pregnant women without consulting a physician or qualified aromatherapist before using.
- Do not use aromatic or aromatherapy products on animals without consulting a veterinarian or qualified aromatherapist before using. Animals can react to essential oils and aromatic products very differently than humans. In fact, essential oils can be hazardous to cats.
- Consult a qualified aromatherapist if there is in doubt about the safe and proper use of specific essential oils, carriers or other ingredients or recommended dilution and/or application.
Aromatherapy products are made of natural ingredients and have no artificial preservatives. Therefore, it’s important to take care with aromatherapy product storage and essential oils in order to ensure lasting quality and prolong the shelf life.
- When not using any natural aromatic product for a period of time, put it in the refrigerator or in a cool place out of direct light to extend its shelf life.
- Opaque glass is the best type of container for natural aromatic products. However, glass is not always practical because it can break and it’s heavy. An opaque, non-reactive plastic container can be used as an alternative.
- Keep away from heat or fire. Essential oils are flammable.
Check For Quality
The effectiveness of aromatherapy depends on the quality of the ingredients used in the blend or product, which in turn depends on how the original plants were grown and harvested, how the plant material was processed (most commonly distilled or cold pressed), and how the processed essential oils and carriers were stored and handled. Each stage of the process determines the extent to which the final blend or product has the expected therapeutic qualities.
Unfortunately, just because a product is labeled as “aromatherapy” does not mean it is therapeutic or all natural; nor is a product labeled “organic” necessarily therapeutic. Ingredients come from all over the world, and there is no single standard or certifying agency to ensure their quality. For this reason, it is important to know your source of aromatic products. Starchaser handcrafts and customizes products using, to the greatest extent possible, only natural, whole, unadulterated ingredients of the best quality available. See our blog on essential oil quality.
Read about our product quality and process
For additional information, contact us.
Aromatherapy services and products are not meant to take the place of conventional or allopathic medicine. They can be used as an aid to manifesting health and wellness. Starchaser does not make claims that aromatherapy can cure any illnesses or ameliorate any psychological condition. Individuals using aromatherapy products need to pay strict attention to all stated precautions and use only as directed. In general, products should not be used on small children and pregnant women without consulting a knowledgeable practitioner. To prolong the life of an aromatherapy product, refrigerate or store in a cool, dark place.
The information and statements presented on this website have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The FDA and the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) have not approved the use of essential oils, hydrosols, and herbs for the prevention, treatment, or cure of disease. We therefore make no claims to this effect. The information, products, and services offered on this website are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Testimonials appearing on this website represent individual cases and the opinions and observations of the individual posting the testimonial. They are not a guarantee that others will achieve similar results.